Out with the old.

Traditionally, I seem to get an itch to clean my closets right around September 1st and May 1st. Before I quit my job in 2010 and had more extra money to spend, it was more of an "Out with the old in with the new" kind of a thing...Now, it's just an out with an old kind of a thing.

I always find it interesting...the things that I hold on to. One of my favorite things is a bottle of Four Season's Hotel replenishing spray that I/we bought on our honeymoon. That was 12 years ago. The stuff in the bottle has officially reached "gross" standards, but there it sits. Waiting for another year to pass on by. I don't think it would be good karma throw it away. So, I don't. Another interesting thing is my retainer. I was supposed to wear it at night for the rest of my life starting in 7th grade. That didn't happen. But, my retainer has followed me from LA to Madison (college) and to 5 residences in Chicago. I never open the case. But, I know it's there. It just sits there next to the Four Season's spray, waiting to another year to pass by.

There are things that I will part with. And, things that I won't. I save sentimental items in my nightstand. I won't get rid of this little view finder picture box that has a picture of my grandparents inside. They were on a cruise and they look so real and alive. When I think about them-I just look inside that picture box. I save many cards. I am thinking that that was a good idea, since in 2011 people usually just text or Facebook "Happy Birthday" instead of a card. Guilty as charged.

It always amazes me how much I actually get rid of and why it took me so long to get rid of it. Maybe it's because I am waiting to see if I really wear my grandmother's wool turtle neck sweater this winter. I won't. But, I also am not ready to get rid of it. I have a sweater set from Banana Repulic that's about 11 years old. I haven't worn it in forever, but it's one of those things that I feel like if I give it away-I will want it back. It's cashmere. So, maybe it's the quality more than the fact that it's a sweater set. It's 2011. Not 1998.

I have been giving away pants suits like crazy. Even the ones I wore to my bridal showers in 1999. They just aren't going to happen. Even if I go back to corporate America tomorrow, I can pretty much guarantee that the pleated front pants suit isn't going to be making a public appearance ever again. I've sold some purses to upscale resale shops that I hadn't used in 5+ years and and some premium denim jeans that, thankfully, are way too big on me. 

The thing that I am waiting to do...that I have been procrastinating the most is the baby stuff. It sits in the basement. I have clothes from 3 months on up. And, I have to make some decisions...what is worth keeping, worth donating and worth trying to sell at my friend's garage sale next week? I am clearly a sentimental but some of the stuff isn't going to be worn by my future grandchildren. So, I am attacking that project next. It will take me a full day to go through the bins and separate into piles. I will end up thinking about my son when he wore X. And, my daughter when she wore Y. And, then realize that I am thankful that I have about 700 picture albums on the kodakgallery.com website. Because I am really only going to hold on to the really special pieces. I don't need every onesie (with stains) that they wore in 2003 and 2006.

Out with the old in with the new. My son used to dress cute when I made the decisions. Little polo shirts and khakis. Vans. Now, it's basketball pants, tshirts and New Balance. My daughter used to only wear dresses. Now, it's Justice shorts and tank tops, daily.

It's hard to let go, but in the fall and in the spring it's good to embrace change. The way I clean my closets is the way I should be living my life. I need to let go of the past and embrace what the future holds. Out with the old.

Comments

  1. I know exactly what you mean. It's hard to be sentimental and still purge belongings you haven't used since the Clinton administration. I have clothes that I've moved 4 times and haven't worn in any of those residences. Time to get rid of them? Probably, but my son might want to wear them someday. Does it matter that he's only wearing size 2T right now?

    I also keep greeting cards that I've received b/c people just don't send them like the old days. And now that Taylor Swift has her own greeting card line, who wants to?

    Check out my recent blog post about that very subject: http://dudeofthehouse.blogspot.com/2011/08/happy-b-day-lol.html

    Great blog. Keep it up!

    JJ - The Dude
    dudeofthehouse.blogspot.com
    https://www.facebook.com/TheDudeOfTheHouse
    Twitter: @DudeOfTheHouse

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing Gold Can Stay

To my first born who is about to leave for college

I am coming clean...