No More Dieting

I was a habitual dieter from 1995-2009. If you do the math, that's 14 years that went like this: Dieting. Restriction. Success. Lose 5. Gain 7. Failure.

Soon after I graduated college in 1995, I became fixated on dieting, exercising and losing weight. I started with Weight Watchers and graduated to Phen-Phen until it was taken off the market. People started identifying me as a dieter.

Worst of all, whatever I lost came back - and then some.

In 2000, due to a prescription medication, my weight skyrocketed. I literally gained 30 pounds in three months. For someone who has dealt with anxiety, especially anxiety about weight, this was my worst nightmare come true. I thought I was "heavy" when  I really wasn't-and then I really, really was.

I tried working with dietitians. I tried weight-loss prescription medication and Weight Watchers again. In 2003, at my highest weight, I got pregnant. After my first child was born, I lost all the baby weight and then some. But losing the weight was a challenge after my second baby.

I was on Weight Watchers at five weeks postpartum. Five weeks. I wasn't sleeping more than two hours at a time, but I was back on the diet train. While on maternity leave, I visited a Chinese medicine doctor in Chinatown. Then I met with an alternative medicine doctor several months later. Her advice: Go wheat free, dairy free, gluten free, corn free and sugar free. Clean eating. I "did" that for eight months. Then the weight loss came to a halt. Again I got frustrated.

I visited a dietitian, Kim Shapira, in Los Angeles while visiting my parents. I was upset. Lost. Trapped. Shapira helped me get on the right path. We talked almost every week. For the first time in a long time, I wasn't on an official diet. We peeled back the layers of how and why I ended up with diet and food issues. Somehow, I regressed. Back to Weight Watchers, then Jenny Craig for a six-week body makeover, and back to Shapira, who recommended I read When Food is Love by Geneen Roth.

It was life changing.

It was my story.

It made me think about these things: Was I eating to live or living to eat? Why was food and dieting defining me? How would my dieting affect my children? Why was I constantly disappointed with the way I looked even when I looked good? Because of that disappointment, did my weight gain become a self-fulfilling prophecy?
In the book, Roth suggests a life of healthy eating but non-dieting. As I was reading this book, I thought to myself, "How can I not diet?"

But I did it. I quit dieting in November 2009. Not only did I do it for me, I did it for my family.

I don't want my children to grow up in a home where dieting and food deprivation is a focal point of our conversations. I have a daughter, and the last thing I want is for her to have food issues. I want her to see value in healthy choices while enjoying a once-in-a-while family outing to the ice cream parlor. It is my responsibility as a parent to lead her on a good path.

I am learning that there are so many things to worry about as a parent and as a woman. But I won't be worrying about the latest and greatest diet any time soon.

This article appeared in the May 2011 edition of Chicago Parent.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing Gold Can Stay

To my first born who is about to leave for college

I am coming clean...