The Turtle, The Sweet 16 Outfit,The Prom Dress and the Wedding Veil

Just about a month ago, I said goodbye to the house I grew up in. I really don't mean to be overly dramatic about it, but it's kind of a big deal to me.

Some of my belongings came with me to college in 1991. And, others have trickled to Chicagoland in boxes over the years. Yearbooks, trophies, collectibles....etc. And, very few things remained in "my growing up house".

I always had a green and white stuffed turtle in my room. She sat wherever she was placed. Sometimes on a rocking chair. Sometimes on a shelf. But, regardless she was always there. And, truthfully, I never really thought about her all that much. She was an ornament. A part of my room. But, when I was in LA last month I confiscated her because she needed to be with my daughter. It's like I didn't have a choice. It had to happen. So, she got shipped home. I brought her to the dry cleaners to get fixed and cleaned. And, yesterday I picked up the turtle. I was literally beaming (the lady at the dry cleaners thought I was a total nut job). And, she slept on my daughter's bed last night. There is now a part of my childhood that is transferring over to my daughter's childhood.

But, that's not all.

My Sweet 16. Co-ed party. A total blast! But, one of the things that I always will remember (because there are pictures) is my outfit. And, that all three of my living grandparents were there. And, my mom said something about my room being messy on the video...But, back to my point. Black off the shoulder, Betsy Johnson, colored tulips patterned on it. I remember feeling super cool with my big permed hair and my sweet 16 outfit. And, until a month ago-it was sitting in my parents house. In the closet. Not up to much. So, I grabbed that too. And, while my daughter is almost 9 (this Sunday!) and not 16. I would love for her to at least have something of mine in her closet for when she's older. She doesn't have to wear it ever (although it's totally classy for an 80s outfit). But, I like that it's here.

And, then there came Prom. Prom where the limo didn't show up and we took an Airport Van. We said at the time we wouldn't ever forget that. And, that's correct. A van. To prom. Absolutely ridiculous and hilarious. But, not to High School seniors who has been waiting for this day for 4 years. But, what I really remember most is getting my Prom dress made. We couldn't find anything at the store that I liked. I will admit when it comes to special occasions (still) I am very picky and selective about what I choose. So, we found a seamstress to make a dress. And, it was (still is) beautiful. Chiffon. White. Ruched (I didn't even know what that meant in 1991). Strapless. But, wow-what a dress. I went to retrieve it at "my growing up house", and it was stained with something. Oh no! Not the prom dress that nobody will ever use or wear! BUT, the dry cleaner saved it. And, it looks just as lovely as it did 24 years ago. Phew. Again, not that I ever expect my child to wear it, but it's good to have it here. I was even nominated for Homecoming Queen. I didn't win, but it was the fact that I was nominated that made me feel really good. I wasn't someone who would be nominated for something like that. But, I was. Just like a teenage high school movie. But, in the movie I would have won :-). Think-underdog.

September 4, 1999. My wedding day. After starving myself on salad, meats and grapefruit for 4 months-I was determined to look back at my wedding and be happy with the way I looked. Pictures are forever. And, just like I am picky about my clothes (see above). I am picky about clothes in pictures (my kids hate that). It took many attempts to find the perfect veil. And, after hunting with my mom-we did (I am also a hunter of perfect things-shoes, bags, jeans etc.). Porcelain flowers, crystals and pearls were the headpiece comb and a veil...not too long and not too short. Finished edges. It had to have finished edges. It was perfect. Loved it. Loved it. Loved it. I loved it so much I kept it on the whole wedding whereas the trend in the late 90s (and probably now) was to take the veil off at the wedding. Not me. I wanted to wear that sucker as long as I could. And, I did.

But, something happened. My mom thought she brought it to Chicago several years ago. I didn't remember her giving it to me. But, I do misplace things sometimes...keys, sunglasses, etc. But, I felt like I would have remembered the veil. I tore apart my office closet. My bedroom closet. The hall closet. Nothing. We both looked and looked and looked for it. We never found it. I was so sad. BUT, when I was in LA last month I pulled the prom dress out of the bag and down at the bottom was the veil! It's a veil. Right? What's the big deal? Well, it's my veil and I loved it. And, again, not that my daughter will wear it. But, maybe one day she will take a part of it for something "old". Or, maybe not. I just like the idea that I found it.

So, the turtle, the sweet 16 dress, the prom dress and the veil are all here. Now that I have them all here I have been thinking about those periods in my life. Being a child. Being a 16 year old. Being a senior in high school. Being a bride. But, my very favorite part is that the turtle is sitting on my daughter's bed.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing Gold Can Stay

To my first born who is about to leave for college

I am coming clean...