My Bat Mitzvah

It's February 3, 2014. Here I am. 40 1/2 years old. Mother of two. Wife. Daughter. Friend. Account Executive. Membership Director at the local swim club. If you look at my life, all of these things define me. My role in this world right now. They are all good things. But, just as many middle aged, women find...sometimes it's just not enough when you are giving so much of yourself to the world around you and so very little to yourself.

I drop my kids off at Sunday school. I carpool to Hebrew School for my 5th grader. He goes every Tuesday evening begrudgingly. I consistently attend services for the High Holy Days since we've joined our temple. I started going in college. And, when I moved to Chicago I continued to go with the exception of when my son was an infant. I celebrate Passover. I understand that I am Jewish. I was born to two Jewish parents. And, they too, were born to two Jewish parents. My parents didn't have temple affiliation. And, I never went through formal Jewish education beyond youth group. I always feel little a lost when I am at temple, and everyone around me is reading the prayers in Hebrew. This includes my 10 year old son. And, there I am. Chiming into the parts that I know from years and years of repetition. Yet, I sit there pretty much clueless. Thankful for the transliterate.

I've always said that I'd have my Bat Mitzvah by the time I turn 50. It's on my bucket list. I figured my son would have his in 2016. Then, my daughter 3 years later, and then it would be my turn somewhere around 2023. But, last January (2013), I was at a neighborhood party. Our head Rabbi just moved to my community-Lincolnshire, and one of the congregants had a welcome party for her and her husband. As the night progressed, I had some dialog with her about a family trip to Israel (another thing on my list is getting to Israel) and also had mentioned that I was going to get bat mitzvah ed after my children. She suggested (I mean she is the Rabbi after all) that I do it before my kids. My initial response was that I wouldn't want to steal their thunder. Last year wasn't the right year to take this on, but as time progressed I started thinking more and more about what she said. By me doing this before my children...I will understand the comittment. And, I will be an active participant in both of my childrens' bar and bat mitzvah when the time comes. It started making sense.

This fall...when the form came in the mail mentioning the adult B'nai mitzvah class, I called the teacher to find out the time and financial commitment. Every Tuesday night from 7-9pm, a small group of adults meet to learn Hebrew and to learn about The Torah. And, in a year we will stand together on the bema and have a B'nai Mitzvah.

I haven't been in school since 1995. I didn't get a graduate degree. Instead, I have been working in the advertising and media industry for almost 20 years. There's been no homework. No reading other than books that I choose. No educational demands. Honestly, I don't have time. The thought of being somewhere every Tuesday night is stressful and tedious. But, I also know through other life experiences, nothing great comes easy. And, that good things comes with a sacrifice. So, on Tuesday nights, I won't be home to put the kids to bed. Spend quality time with my husband the way we like to after a long day. Or, watch a mindless TV show that I crave at the end of  busy day. But, it's okay. Tuesday nights will be there in 2015, 16 and so on. And, for now I look forward to this journey that begins on February 11th 2014.

Comments

  1. That's awesome!
    My grandmother did it in her 60's.
    My mother did it in her 50's.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing Gold Can Stay

To my first born who is about to leave for college

I am coming clean...